Subscribe Us

Header Ads

Aim High 5 Unit 6 : Exercises

Vocabulary page 49

Birth order and success

Match delighted words in the text with these definitions.

1. To do something bad without being punished.aManipulative.
2. Willing to listen to or to accept new ideas.b Look up to.
3. people who support or speak in favour of something.c Conventional wisdom.
4. The centre of attention.d Accommodating.
5. Willing to help or co-operate.e Keep taps on.
6. Ignored or forgotten.f Gravitate
7. Explanations, information or belief generally accepted as true. g Sole.
8. To be more important in determining something. h Siblings.
9. To move towards something that you are attracted to.i Overlooked.
10. Mentions as a reason or example of something.j Override.
11. Controlling others to get what one wants. k Limelight.
12. To watch and supervise someone closely.l Cites.
13. To admire or respect someone.m Advocate.
14. Brothers and sisters.n Get away with murder.
15. Only.o Receptive.

Activate page 50
complete these sentences with the correct form of the words in the box.

manipulative   ·  gravitate   ·  override   ·  advocate   ·  keep taps on   ·  conventional wisdom   ·  limelight   ·  look up to   ·  sole   ·  accommodating   ·  cites   ·  overlook   ·  get away with murder   ·  siblings   ·  receptive  
1.I need to my money as I have already spent too much.
2.The staff at the hotel were extremely They did everything we asked.
3.If you become a famous celebrity, you can expect to be in the with everyone looking at you.
4.Health considerations Financial gain, so we are closing the factory.
5.Mrs Anderson is To student suggestions, so you should speak to her.
6.According to the Of 1400 , The world was flat.
7.People in my family toward scientific fields. My mum is a doctor and my dad is a chemist.
8.My teacher is a strong of traditional grammar lessons.
9.Don't The material at the bottom of the page. There will be an exam question on it
10.my younger sister can because she is the favourite child.
11.Many teens famous athletes and want to play as well as them.
12.In his article on the origins of Sumerian architecture, professor Hartly Three examples.
13.I don't like concert very much. The Reason I came was to support your band.
14.Josh wasn't truthful with us. He was being very .
15.Sometimes I wish I had , but I enjoy having all of my parents attention.

Extend page 50
Personality synonyms
Replace the words and bold with a synonym from the box.

unpredictable   ·  confident   ·  reliable   ·  determined   ·  stubborn   ·  opinionated   ·   aloof  
1.Jen is quite stand-offish . She's never friendly. .
2.You can confide in Jake. He's very trustworthy . .
3.Its not worth discussing anything with Helen - she is so dogmatic . .
4.Simon studies a lot, so he is very self-assured when speaking out in class. .
5.Mr barr is capricious . He accepted Anna's excuse, but rejected the same one from Alan. .
6.Betty is very resolute . She applied for the scholarship again after being rejected. .
7.Oscar can be uncompromising . He refused to change his plan although there is easier option. .

Personality idioms. Page 50
Check the meaning of the idioms in bold. Match them with their definitions ( a-h).

1. Louis is a shrinking violets. She would rather watch a DVD alone then mean you people.
2. Maya is such a wet blanket. She always stops me from playing innocent jokes on people.
3. Harry and Jim are like chalk and cheese . Harry is outgoing and athletic . Jim is aloof and studious.
4. Although we’d had a huge argument, Philip was as nice as a pie when I saw him.
5. I am glad we invited Thomas. He is the life and soul of the party.
6. Annabelle has a good head on her shoulder. I'd take her advice if I were you.
7. Students tend not to misbehave in Mr Brysons classes because he has a short fuse.
8. Social scientists have to be thick skinned, their studies are frequently criticized.
a Someone who is sensible.
b Able to take criticism or correction without becoming upset.
c Becomes angry easily.
d Kind and friendly, especially when you are not expecting it.
e Completely different from each other.
f Someone who is very shy.
g Someone who doesn’t want others to have fun.
h The most amusing person in the party.

Grammar page 51
Ellipsis with either / too
Exploit
Complete the sentences with either, too, or leave blank if nothing is needed.

1.Fiona has two sisters. I do too.
2.Jason's brother is annoying. Fortunately, mine isn't .
3.Kelly doesn't have a large family, and James doesn't .
4.Deborah wanted to see a film last night, but I didn't .
5.your class is a studying in the library today, and ours is .
6.Cameron doesn't believe the studies on birth order or accurate, and I don't .

Complete the response to each statement, using ellipsis. Page 51.

A: I love psychology. It's my favourite subject.
B: I . I think it's boring.
A: Sarah and I haven't read the assignment for today's class.
B: . there is some useful information in there.
A: Should I bring a doctor's note for missing last week's exams?
B: I . Mr Cole is very strict about exam absences.
A: Should I buy that new phone everyone is talking about?
B: I . I have heard it's got a lot of problems.
A: My research paper was almost 20 pages long.
B: Mine it was only 15.

Match the sentences halves. Page 51.

1. She said that she would call, but a she didn't.
2. She said that she would lend me her car, and b I have, too.
3. He is angry with Samantha, but c she did.
4. Carly isn't happy with her test score, and d I'm not.
5. Dan has applied for university, and e I am not, either.

Skills Page 52
All about me
Vocabulary
Are the descriptions positive or negative? write P (positive) or N (negative).

1.Jane is not very considerate of her friends feelings.
2.Kevin is very down to earth, so I am sure he will give you good advice.
3.Ivan is an outstanding athlete, but he isn't conceited.
4.Why is Amanda wearing those expensive sunglasses in class? She is very pretentious.
5.Don't expect a quick witted reply from Alan. He is very serious and dull!
6.Everybody likes Alice because she is very charismatic.
7.My brother is such a happy go lucky child.
8.Daniel is well known for his spontaneous ideas, even though they get him into trouble.

Complete the blog profiles with words from the box. Page 52.

charismatic   ·  happy-go-lucky   ·  spontaneous   ·  quick-witted   ·  considerate   ·  pretentious   ·  conceited   ·  down to earth  
Kareena George
I enjoy doing things without a lot of planning, so I think I am person. My friends also think I am because I don't worry about the future I know things will be fine. Even if they aren't going well at the moment for the stop I value friends who are since it is important to be sensible and realistic in life. I don't have time for people- I can tell if someone is trying to impress me by appearing important or by wearing expensive clothing or jewelry.
Desmond fanty
more people thought about others, there would be fewer problems in the world, so I think being is one of the most important things in life. My favorite quality about my character is that I am - I am fairly intelligent and I can see the funny side of things easily. At least my friends have told me as much, and that's agreed to compliment I also think I am quite because people seem to like me and I make friends easily. Actually I've been called but I don't believe this is true because I've never thought I am better than anyone else.
Click on Start quiz to begin. A word will appear above the table. Add it to the appropriate list by clicking on the box in the table where you think it should go. Repeat until you've sorted all the words. Based on Listen page 52
أنقر على زر إبدا الإختبار . سوف تظهر كلمة أعلى الجدول. أضف هذه الكلمة للقائمة المناسبة عن طريق النقر داخل المربع المناسب. كرر الخطوات حتى تفرز كل الكلمات
 
 
Blood type A Blood type B Blood type AB Blood type O
       

Grammar Page 53.
Ellipsis in comparisons
Exploit
Cross out or replace the unnecessary words in each sentence.

Down to earth people are less likely to make mistakes than happy go lucky people are to make mistakes.
(1)
Type A people often suffer from more stress than type B people suffer from do.
(2)
In the 19th century people paid less attention to personality than they pay attention to do today.
(3)
Some languages have complicated grammar rules to learn, but studying English isn't as difficult as studying other languages .
(4)
There were higher numbers of type AB than scientists originally thoughts there to be .
(5)
The essay on personality types was longer than it was necessary to be.
(6)
There / as / applicants / weren't / last year / many / as
(1)
Then / he / more / fails / is / assignments / allowed
(2)
Necessary / collected / more / than / data / was / they
(3)
We / does / do experiments / than / more / my sister's class
(4)
Took / recommended / more / she medicine / was / than
(5)
More / the results / than / to be / them / expected / wear / significant / we
(6)

Sisters, but more different than similar.

Writing Page 54 A comparison and contrast essay Read Josie's essay comparing herself to her sister Emma - student A starts

It stands to reason that most siblings share some basic personality characteristics. Siblings have the same parents, so they have a common biological heritage. They are raised in the same environment, so their living conditions are similar. Although my sister Emma and I have the same parents and shared a home for our entire childhood and teenage years, our personalities are more different than similar.

The first basic difference in our personalities is our comfort level with others. I am extremely outgoing. I enjoyed meeting new people, and I find it easy to talk to them. Once my flight was delayed, and by the time we boarded the plane, I had become friends with many of the other passengers. in contrast, Emma is very timid. She is even shy around our family. At our cousins wedding last year she didn't feel at ease because she hadn't seen the family in ages. Another way in which our personalities are more different than similar is our sense of humor. I think that this is based on our intelligence. Emma is extremely intelligent, and when she is confident enough to speak to others, she is very quick witted. She can immediately think of an intelligent response and she's good at playing with words. On the other hand, I am NOT as intelligence as Emma. I can never think of anything witty to say. While Emma enjoys humor and clever uses of language, I find physical gags and jokes funny.

Despite being siblings, Emma and I are more different than similar. This is demonstrated in our comfort level was all those as well as our chances of humor. I am extra voted and enjoy physical humor, where a semi is shy but quick witted with her humor. Nevertheless, we are still closed.

Rewrite the sentences, using the expressions in the brackets. Page 54.

Isabella's best subject is chemistry. Her brother's best subject is French. (while)
(1)
Rob in the best basketball player at school. Joe, his brother, his hopeless at sports. (in contrast)
(2)
Marissa can sing extremely well. She's not good at maths. (on the other hand)
(3)
My parents read the newspaper daily. I only read the news online for a stop (whereas)
(4)
Learning languages requires a good memory for a stop learning maths requires problem solving skills (while)
(5)

Dictionary corner Page 55.
Words with multiple meanings
Some words have more than one meaning.

school(2)   ·  scratch(2)   ·  shoot   ·  platform(2)   ·  pitch(2)   ·  quack(2)   ·  shoot  
1. to make or remove a mark.
2. a group of fish
3. the sound that a duck makes.
4. to teach or educate someone.
5. make a film
6. the part of a plant that grows from the ground.
7. how high or low a sound is.
8. To make a noise by rubbing.
9. a place to express your opinions in public.
10. a person who claims to have medical knowledge nut doesn't
11. The raised area beside a track at a train station
12. an area of ground marked for playing games.
For reading passage and listening, please go here

Post a Comment

0 Comments