Subscribe Us

Header Ads

Aim High 1 Unit : 1 My network

Family life Supermum

Read the following Passage

Sue Povey gets up at six every morning and makes breakfast tor fifteen people. Sue has a difficult job she works hard every day. But she doesn't work in an office. She’s a mother with fifteen children. and Thirteen of them live at home. Sue's family is unusual the average British family only has 1.3 children. Sue Povey and her family live in Swindon in the south of England. After breakfast her husband, lan, goes to work. Sue drives the children to school. She needs a minibus for this. Nine children go to school and she drives home with the other Four children. Every weekday she looks after the children and cleans the house. She does the washing eight times a day and after lunch she irons clothes for three hours. Sue spends hall' her life in the kitchen. Every afternoon at 3.30 she collects the children from school in the minibus. Then she helps them with their homework. After that she cooks dinner for fifteen. Her husband comes home at six. Alter dinner. she goes to the supermarket with two of her sons. They help her with the shopping. She buys 50 litres of milk a week! Sue loves her big family. All the children help Sue and help each other. The house is always lively when it's full of children!

=============================================

Match the highlighted words in the text with these definitions.

1. You wear these
2. To do something useful for someone else
3. To take care of someone
4. A big meal in the evening
5. To pass time
6. Get out of bed
7. Full of energy
8. A meal in the middle of the day
9. To pick someone up
10. Very loud and annoying
11. The first meal of the day
12. The opposite of 'noisy'
13. Students have to do this after school
14. Not interesting or exciting
15. To control or operate a car
acollect
bclothes
cspend
dboring
ehelp
fget up
gdrive
hlook after
ilively
jbreakfast
kquiet
ldinner
mlunch
nnoisy
ohomework
================================

Activate:Complete these sentences with the words from the box.

spend   ·  quiet   ·  noisy   ·  lunch   ·  boring   ·  help   ·  clothes   ·  lively   ·  look after  
Click and Drop click on a word or phrase in the box above and then on the appropriate gap.
1.Every day I about an hour on my computer.
2.Peter lives near an airport. II's in his garden!
3.I like wearing colourful .
4.I sometimes my mum with the shopping.
5.This film is too long. It's !
6.When mum and dad go out. I my little brother.
7.All the children are in bed. It's in the house.
8.I usually have at about twelve thirty.
9.All my cousins visit our house at the weekend, so it's very .
================================

Extend Collocations with make, have and do
Match the _verbs with the nouns to make phrases

=====================================

Useful expressions: family and friends
What do you think the expressions in bold mean?
Rewrite the sentences using the words in parentheses.

My brother and I are good friends. (get on well)
(1)
In the morning, my sister takes a long time in the bathroom. (spends ages)
(2)
After school I sometimes spend time with my friends. (hang around)
(3)
We're late for school. Hurry up! (Get a move on)
(4)
My little brother talks all the time. He annoys me. (drives me crazy)
(5)
When my father cleans the car, I help him. (give him a hand)
(6)
===================

Expressions with look
3 Complete these sentences with the words from the box.

round   ·  at   ·  after   ·  for   ·  like   ·  out  
1.Look your little brother.
2.Look !
3.He looks his father.
4.Let’s look the city.
5.Look that picture.
6.Go and look our suitcase.
===========================

Grammar
Present simple: affirmative
EXPLORE
Read the text and correct the verbs in parentheses. Use the present simple tense. Some verbs will remain as they are.

1.Bart Simpson    (be) the star of The Simpsons, a popular American TV programme. Eleven million Americans    (watch) it every week. The Simpsons    (live) in Springfield and Bart    (go) to Springflield Elementary School. He'    (be) very lazy and he    (not be) popular with the teachers, but his classmates    (like) him. Bart    (have got) two sisters, Lisa and Maggie. Lisa    (be) very intelligent and she    (study) hard. Maggie    (be) a baby. Bart's parents    (be) Homer and Marge. Homer    (work) at a power station from Monday to Friday and    (watch) TV at weekends. Marge    (stay) at home with Maggie.
====================

Extend
Complete the sentences with the present simple affirmative of the verbs in the box.

stays   ·  work   ·  like   ·  studies   ·  go   ·  live  
1.'I at a power station,'
2.'My brother and I to Springfield Elementary School'
3.'My little sister hard at school'
4.'My wife at home with our baby.'
5.'My classmates me."
6.'I in Springfield with my husband and children.'
=========================

Complete the text. Use the present simple affirmative.

lives   ·  walk   ·  gets up   ·  hates   ·  watch   ·  finish   ·  goes   ·  loves  
Click and Drop click on a word or phrase in the box above and then on the appropriate gap.
1.My best friend is called Jenny. She    next door to me. We go to the same school but we are in different classes. I    to school, but Jenny    by bike, because she always    late. After school we    our homework first and then we    TV. I like news programmes, but Jenny    them. She thinks they’re boring. She    chat shows.
=====================

Possessive's
Read the sentences and fill in the gaps.

niece   ·  cousin(2)   ·  uncle(2)   ·  brother  
Click and Drop click on a word or phrase in the box above and then on the appropriate gap.
1.My mother's brother is my .
2.My father is my cousins' .
3.My uncle's daughter is my .
4.My sister is my cousin's .
5.My nephews' sister is my .
6.My uncle is my mother's or father's .
=====================

Present simple: negative
EXPLORE
Read the text about two brothers. Find five examples of the present simple negative.

Josh and Ben are brothers. Both boys are athletic, but they don't like the same things. Ben loves football. He plays for two teams - his school team and his city team - and he trains every weekend. Josh trains a lot too. but he doesn't play football. He loves ice skating. He goes ice skating at an ice rink in the city. I want to be a professional ice skater," says Josh. 'But Ben wants to play for Manchester United. I don't like football, but I think Ben is fantastic.' ‘I don't like ice skating at all, but I know Josh is great,` says Ben. 'We don't like the same things, but we like each other.'
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)
(5)
=======================

EXPLOIT
Make the sentences negative.

I live in England.
(1)
We come from London.
(2)
Karen studies science.
(3)
Mick plays ice hockey.
(4)
You like computer games.
(5)
Ben and I walk to school.
(6)
Mona gets up at five O'clock.
(7)
========================

Phrasal verbs
Look up the phrasal verbs In the box and complete the sentences.

after   ·  away   ·  off(2)   ·  in   ·  down   ·  up  
Click and Drop click on a word or phrase in the box above and then on the appropriate gap.
What’s your name? What’s your address? Fill this form (1) .
The lesson’s over. Put your books (2) .
Turn the television (3) . It’s too loud.
What time does the plane take (4) ?
Pick that cup (5) , please. It’s on the floor.
My mother is short and slim, and I am, too. I took (6) my mother.
Take these shoes (7) . Are they the right size?
The above exercises have been made by: MR.Hamdi Ahmed Sultan

Post a Comment

0 Comments