Subscribe Us

Header Ads

Aim High 1 Unit: 2 Free Time

x
David Simons comes from London, but he's in China for three months. He's a student at the Deng Feng Kung Fu school. In this interview with Martial Arts Monthly (MAM) David talks about life at the next school.
MAM:Tell me about a typical day. what time do you get up?
David: Our routine is the same every day. He gets up at 5:00 o'clock and started training immediately. We haven't got time to wash or have breakfast. If we're late, the teachers hit us with the sticks.
MAM: How do you train?
David: first we train our legs, arms, and stomachs. We run up and down 1000 steps and do press ups. The training is very hard.
MAM: How do you understand the teachers? Do you speak Chinese?
David: A little, yes. but the teachers speak English, so I don't have a problem.
MAM: When do you have breakfast?
David: At 7:30. We have rice and soup. Training starts again at 9:00 o'clock. We practice hitting with our hands. We learn to jump high and kick. At 11:00 o'clock will take a break for 10 minutes and then training starts again.
MAM: When do you stop for lunch?
David: At 2:30. Of course our arms and legs hurt after all the training. So, we stretch for 10 minutes, and then we have lunch. After lunch we have a long rest.
MAM: Do you train in the afternoons too?
David: Yes, I like the afternoon because we train with sticks and swords.
MAM: Is it dangerous?
David: No, not really, because we do not fight? We learn how to defend ourselves, not to hurt other people.
MAM: When does training finish?
David: At 6:00 o'clock? We have a shower and have dinner at 6:30 - rice and soup again - then we go to bed.
MAM: What do you want to do when you go back to Britain?
David: I want to start a Kung Fu school in London and teach people Kung Fu. I also want to appear in films as a Kung Fu fighter!

Vocabulary
No pain, no again
Match the highlighted words in the text with these definitions.

1. To move suddenly into the air
2. Difficult, tiring
3. A short period when you stop your normal activity
4. To do exercise regularly, to become stronger
5. Not safe
6. You protect yourself
7. Usual coma normal
8. To do something regularly, to become good at it
9. Period of relaxing sleeping or doing nothing
10. To touch, suddenly and violently
11. To try to hurt someone
12. To move quickly using your legs
13. To push out your arms and legs as far as possible
14. The things that you normally do every day
15. To hit with your foot
arest
bstretch
cRoutine
dBreak
eDangerous
fkick
gfight
hrun
iDefend
jpractise
khard
ljump
mTrain
nHit
oTypical

Vocabulary
No pain, new gain
Activate
Complete these sentences with the words from the box.

hard   ·  jump   ·  dangerous   ·  kick   ·  stretch   ·  break   ·  typical   ·  sticks   ·  train   ·  rest   ·  defend   ·  get up   ·  hit   ·  practise  
Click and Drop click on a word or phrase in the box above and then on the appropriate gap.
1. the ball to Maine!
2.After a game of basketball, I am tired, and I want a .
3.There are a lot of difficult questions in this exam it's !
4.Boxers fight with their hands. They don't use or swords.
5.I like sports. I can run a kilometer in 5 minutes. And I can 2 meters into the air.
6.They are professional footballers they six days a week.
7.I at 7, have breakfast and get to bus to school at eight. That's my routine every morning.
8.Don't drive so fast! it's .
9.When I get up, I usually my arms and legs.
10.It's difficult to score a goal against that team they well.
11.Don't your little brother with your book! be kind to him.
12.I want to be a professional musician, so I every day.
13.On a day, I drink three or four cups of tea.
14.At my school, we start lessons at 8:30 and at 10:30 we take a for 10 minutes.

Extend
Opposites
Find highlighted words in the text that mean the opposite of these words

1. Safe
2. Unusual
3. Attack
4. Easy
5. Activity
adangerous
brest
ctypical
dhard
edefend

Useful nouns
These are nouns about routines and activities. Complete the sentences, using the nouns.

interval   ·  appointment   ·  holiday   ·  break   ·  timetable   ·  calendar  
Click and Drop click on a word or phrase in the box above and then on the appropriate gap.
1.After two hours of studying English I need a .
2.What day is 23rd July this year? Is it the Monday or Tuesday? Check the .?
3.I feel terrible. I want to make an to see the doctor.
4.every August, we have a . We usually go to Italy for two weeks.
5.This concert is very long. When is the ?
6.what time is the next train? Let's look at the .

Look at part one of an interview with 17-year-old snowboarding star, Jed bright. Put the interviewer’s questions in the correct places. Listen and check your answers.

Click and Drop click on a word or phrase in the box above and then on the appropriate gap.
Interviewer: _________________________________.
Jed: Yes, I do. I love the excitement - and the traveling.
Interviewer: ________________________________.
Jed: No, they don't. I travel with my trainer, Martin Atkins, and my brother Nathan.
Interviewer: ____________________________.
Jed: No, he doesn’t. He just watches.
Interviewer: ____________________________.
Jed: No, I don't. I haven't got time!
(1)
(2)
(3)
(4)

Exploit
Write questions in the present simple.

You / go snowboarding?
(1)
Your friends/ like computer games?
(2)
Your grandmother/ play football?
(3)
You/ watch a lot of films?
(4)
Your best friend/ do athletics?
(5)
You/ like drawing?
(6)

Complete Part 2 of the interview with the question words in the box.

Where   ·  How   ·  when   ·  What   ·  Who  
Interviewer: (1) do you live?
Jed : I live in Vancouver coma in Canada.
Interviewer: (2) do you live with?
Jed: my parents are my brother.
Interviewer: (3) do you relax?
Jed: I read.
Interviewer: (4) books do you like?
Jed: crime stories are my favourites.
Interviewer: (5) do you see your friends?
Jed : in the evenings and at weekends.

Match the beginnings and endings of the questions. Then ask and answer them.

1. What books do you
2. Where do you
3. When do you
4. What sport do you
5. Who do you
6. How do you
a do?
b get up in the morning?
c travel to school?
d sit next to in class?
e buy your clothes?
f read?
Click on Start quiz to begin. A word will appear above the table. Add it to the appropriate list by clicking on the box in the table where you think it should go. Repeat until you've sorted all the words.
أنقر على زر إبدا الإختبار . سوف تظهر كلمة أعلى الجدول. أضف هذه الكلمة للقائمة المناسبة عن طريق النقر داخل المربع المناسب. كرر الخطوات حتى تفرز كل الكلمات
 
 
Verbs Nouns Adjectives
     

Dictionary corner
Collocations
All these verbs are about using your hands. Match the verbs with the nouns. Make sentences, using the verbs and nouns.

1. Catch
2. Knock
3. Shake
4. Squeeze
5. Wave
a a tube of toothpaste
b a ball
c to a friend
d orange juice
e at the door

Plurals
What are the blue runs of these words use your dictionary to check?

1.Foot (eFte)
2.Baby (Bbsiea)
3.Tooth (eTeth)
4.Child (einrldhC)
5.Wife (Wiesv)
6.Businesswoman (wsBmnnieosesu)
7.Mouse (eciM)
8.Fireman (nimeFer)

Idioms: parts of the body
What do the expressions in bold mean? Look up the parts of the body in the expressions.

1. Who's talking about me? My ears are burning.
2. Keep an eye on your little sister. She sometimes runs out of the house and the road is dangerous.
3. Tony is a good guitarist, but he doesn't practice enough. He doesn't want to be a musician his heart is not in it.
4. I want to go out with my friends, but I've got hours and hours homework to do. I am up to my neck in work!
5. My brother always looks down his nose at me. He thinks he's better than me at everything!
6. After work, my dad likes to put his feet up and watch TV.
aHe underestimates me
b My dad likes to relax.
cSomeone is talking about me.
dTake care of your sister.
eHe's not keen on being a guitarist or a musician
fI am very busy

Workbook exercises
Vocabulary no pain, no gain
Complete the text with the words in the box.

kick   ·  fight   ·  hard   ·  rest   ·  train   ·  practise   ·  break   ·  routine   ·  stretch   ·  defend   ·  run   ·  hit   ·  jump   ·  dangerous  
Click and Drop click on a word or phrase in the box above and then on the appropriate gap.
1. I am a boxer and I want to box at the Olympic Games. I go to sports center to    every day. I do the same exercises every day. It's a    , but I love it. A day starts at 6:00 AM, when I    for an hour from home to the Sports Center. Then I    my legs and arms for 15 minutes before I start to    the different moves a boxer makes. I want to become very good at them! I usually work on my hands first. I    a big bag for a long time to make them strong. It's very    work and it makes me tired! Then, I usually have a short    for 10 minutes and have some breakfast. After breakfast I work on my legs and feet. 1 you can't    people in boxing, but your legs and feet are very important. I    up and down for a long time. Boxing is sometimes    , and it hurts when someone hits you! So, then I do some exercises to learn how to    myself and push the other boxers away. Then on Saturdays I    in a competition. Are usually win on Sundays I stay in bed and I have a long    . I need it after all that training!

Opposites
Complete each sentence with the opposite of the word in bold.

1.I don't think it's an unusual week. I think it's a    (ptcialy) week.
2.He doesn't attack very well in chess, but he    (dneesfd) very well.
3.After all that activity we need a long    (rtse) !
4.Boxing isn't safe. It's    (odraunseg) .
5.This exercise isn't easy. It's    (rahd) .

Parts of the speech
Are the words in bold in the sentence’s verbs, adjectives or nouns?

1.I go to football practice two nights a week.
2.Some people enjoy dangerous sports.
3.I usually rest add the weekends.
4.He practises playing the guitar every evening.
5.We always enjoy our coffee breaks.
6.the training was really hard.
7.I want a rest before we train again.
8.They always break the sticks when they fight.

Post a Comment

0 Comments